Sugar Free Coconut Cupcakes
- 1g of carbs
- 20 mins
- Serves 12
- For the cupcakes:
- 85g - 2/3 cup coconut flour (I used Sukrin)
- 95g - 1/2 cup sweetener (I used Sukrin:1)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 100ml - 1/2 cup oil (I used olive oil)
- 100ml - 1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk)
For the chocolate ganache (optional):
- 200g dark chocolate, I use over 70%
- 125ml double cream
- 2-3 tsp sweetener (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200 ℃ / 400℉ / gas mark 6 and line a 12-cup muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Mix the coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
- Add the eggs, oil, and milk. Stir the mixture (do not heavily mix, only stir until combined).
- Pour the mixture into the cupcake cases and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Keep an eye on the cupcakes around the 15-minute mark as these can brown very quickly.
- Serve on their own for 1g of carbs or create a chocolate ganache to cover the cupcakes with for a "bounty" effect.
- To create the ganache, heat the cream (but do not boil). Break up the chocolate and place into the warm bowl of cream. Leave for a few minutes to soften. Stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is glossy. Add in the sweetener if desired.
|Nutrition Facts Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 10g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||11%|
|Monounsaturated Fat 6g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1g|
|Trans Fat 0g|
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.
** The values here may not be 100% accurate and should be used as a guide only.
*** These values are based on the cupcakes on their own, without the ganache.
These were the first “sweet treat” I tried baking when I began my low carb lifestyle. I remember thinking, these aren’t going to come out very well as I was so used to cooking with plain or self-raising flour. Do not be alarmed by the “fluffy” consistency of the mixture, this is normal. Not only will you have a wonderful smelling kitchen whilst they are baking, you will be greeted with delicious cakes when they are removed from the oven. The texture is light and fluffy with a rich coconut flavour.
I was delighted to discover that these babies (without the chocolate ganache) are only 1g of carbs! Whenever I add the chocolate ganache I am always reminded of Bounty chocolate bars. If you make the chocolate ganache this will add on around 7g of carbs, 13g of fat and 145 extra calories. Making the cupcake a total of 8g carbs, 23g fat and 250 calories.
As ingredients can differ, you may find these come out a bit dry. If this happens, you can try increasing the amount of wet ingredients. For example, the next time you make these you could add more milk or more oil. This should help keep the cupcakes moist.
Products used in this recipe
There are so many brands selling all kinds of low carb/sugar-free items that it can be hard to choose! These are my favourite and most used products, particularly for this recipe:
Please note that Sukrin:1 can be used 1:1 like sugar, so if you use a different sweetener be sure to check what the conversion is on that sweetener. The amount of sweetener you should use in this recipe may need to be adjusted accordingly.