Low Carb Bagels
- 5g of carbs
- 40 mins
- Serves 4-6
- For the bagel:
- 1 cauliflower head, riced
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp flaxseed, milled
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the topping:
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ / 400℉ / Gas mark 6. If you do not have a bagel mould, you can use a baking tray instead. Line or grease the baking tray.
- Blend the cauliflower into rice. This can be done in a food processor, blender, chopper or by hand with a cheese grater.
- In a bowl, mix together the cauliflower rice, eggs, cheese, flaxseed, garlic, coconut flour and salt until well combined.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and garlic powder.
- If you are using bagel moulds, spoon the mixture into the moulds. Press down on the mixture so that it fills the moulds. If you are using a baking tray, roll the mixture into 4 or 6 (depending on what size you want) even sized sausage shapes. Connect both ends of each one to resemble the shape of a bagel. Place the bagels on the baking tray.
- Sprinkle each bagel with the topping mixture and lightly press them into the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Serve with your favourite sandwich fillers. To reheat the bagels, simply pop them under the grill for 3-5 mins on each side.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 4g||7%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||3%|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0g|
|Trans Fat 0g|
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.
** The values here may not be 100% accurate and should be used as a guide only.
These low carb bagels are a real treat. You’ll barely notice that they are made with cauliflower rice! They are slightly softer in texture than a normal bagel, but still taste delicious and make a great alternative if you are watching your carb intake. They can be reheated by popping them under the grill for 3-5 minutes on each side.
The bagel moulds I use make 6 small bagels. If you would like larger bagels you can make 4 instead of 6. I purchased my mould from Amazon, which I link to below if you wish to use the same moulds.
Products used in this recipe
There are various brands selling all kinds of low carb/ sugar-free items, it can often be hard to choose! These are my favourite and most used products, particularly for this recipe: