Low Carb ‘Fathead’ Bread Rolls
- 3g of carbs
- 20 mins
- Serves 5
- 170g mozzarella, grated
- 85g almond flour or ground almonds
- 2 tbsp soft cheese
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 1 tsp onion powder or granules
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 220℃ / 425℉ / gas mark 7.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix together the almond flour, mozzarella, and cream cheese.
- Place the bowl in the microwave on high for 1 minute/60 seconds. Stir the melted ingredients together until well mixed. Pop the bowl back into the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Add the beaten egg, baking powder, onion powder, garlic granules and Italian herbs to the dough. Mix until all of the ingredients have combined and the dough has formed into one large ball.
- Place baking paper on a baking tray. Break the dough up into 5 pieces (6 if you are lucky!) and roll them into balls. Place the balls on the lined baking tray and press down lightly on each ball. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the buns and press them lightly into the dough. For extra flavour, you can also sprinkle a small amount of onion granules on top. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes. Keep an eye as they can brown/crisp very quickly.
- Remove from oven and serve.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 20g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||33%|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 3g|
|Trans Fat 0g|
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.
** The values here may not be 100% accurate and should be used as a guide only.
I have tried numerous low carb bread recipes without success. Unfortunately, I do not seem to like the taste of almond flour in savory dishes and the most common ingredient in low carb bread is almond flour! If I can taste almonds in a savory dish it just feels wrong to me. I am very jealous of all the individuals that don’t seem to feel the same way as I do. Saying this, I have seen fathead recipes for several months now and have been meaning to bite the bullet and try it. I am thrilled to say, the cheese in this recipe wins the battle.
I could not taste almonds at all, so if you are similar to me and hesitant to try for the same reason, I urge you to give this a go! At just 3 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fiber, and 1 grams of net carbs, this should have little to no effect on blood glucose levels. These rolls are grain free (gluten and wheat free), low carb and keto friendly.
Some of you may know, that my body does not tolerate saturated fat very well. I have an issue with cholesterol and my LDL levels can go sky high very quickly. Each roll has 20 grams of fat, 7 grams of which is saturated fat. If you have a similar intolerance to me, it is important to be mindful of this towards your daily amount. For example, I won’t have this recipe regularly, and on the days that I do I will make sure the rest of my meals are low in saturated fat.Recipe inspired by Ditchthecarbs.com