Sugar Free Salted Caramel Easter Egg
- 9g of carbs
- 45 mins
- Serves 6
- 200g dark chocolate, melted (I used 85%)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp erythritol
- 5 drops liquid caramel stevia
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave. This can be done by heating for 30 seconds and then stir and repeat until the chocolate is melted. Alternatively, you can break up the chocolate into a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water; cook, stirring occasionally, until melted, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the sea salt, erythritol, and caramel stevia drops. Mix until well combined.
- Scoop a large spoonful of chocolate into the egg mould. Gently tilt the mould back and forth until the surface of the egg is covered with an even layer of chocolate.
- Run the cold water tap over the outside of the egg mould to make the chocolate set quicker. Be careful not to let any water mix with the chocolate.
- Lay out some kitchen paper or greaseproof paper and place the egg mould flat-side-down for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, repeat steps 3-5 with the other half of the egg mould.
- Repeat steps 3-6 until you have built up a layer of chocolate that is about 1/2cm thick.
- When you have applied your final layer, place the chocolate egg halves in the fridge to set for 15 minutes.
- You can join the two egg halves together by brushing melted chocolate around the rims and holding them together for a few seconds. Place the egg in the fridge for 5 minutes to set.
- You can decorate your egg by drizzling melted chocolate over it, I then sprinkled edible gold dust over my egg.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 18 g||27 %|
|Saturated Fat 11 g||53 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 93 mg||4 %|
|Potassium 0 mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 9 g||3 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4 g||16 %|
|Sugars 5 g|
|Protein 3 g||6 %|
|Vitamin A||0 %|
|Vitamin C||0 %|
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.
** The values here may not be 100% accurate and should be used as a guide only.
Never miss a recipe! Subscribe to our YouTube channel for the latest recipe videos
Easter can be a difficult time for people who are avoiding carbs/sugar. You are constantly faced with delicious chocolate eggs and it can be very tempting to have one. Unfortunately, having one may have a consequence, such as high blood glucose levels.
I tend to get a dark chocolate (over 70%) Easter egg, which is great, but sometimes I miss the variation on flavour. That is how this recipe was born. I had a craving for salted caramel, so I thought, ‘why not make my own!?’. It is suprisingly easier than you would think, all you need is an egg mould, dark chocolate, sweetener and whatever flavouring of liquid stevia you’d prefer.
You could easily adapt the flavour of the chocolate, there is almost endless possibilies! You could add orange essence for a chocolate orange flavour. Or banana essence for a chocolate banana flavour. You could mix in crushed hazelnuts for a ‘Ferrero Rocher’ inspired flavour!
Products used in this recipe
There are various brands selling all kinds of low carb/ sugar-free items, it can often be hard to choose! These are my favourite and most used products, particularly for this recipe:
- Plastic Mould for Chocolate Egg, Transparent
- NKD Living Stevia Liquid Drops 50ml – Caramel flavoured – with glass dropper
- Erythritol sweetener. If you purchase from Sweet Victory Products, you can use the code ‘DAM10’ to get a 10% discount off of your first order