Low Carb Sesame Seed Crackers
- 5g of carbs
- 70 mins
- Serves 9
- 6 tbsp / 70g sunflower seeds
- 145g / 1 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 60g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk
- 100ml water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic granules
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ / 350℉ / gas mark 4 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Lightly blend the sunflower seeds. Only do this for a few seconds to prevent them from turning into a butter.
- Pour the ground sunflower seeds into a bowl and add the sesame seeds, cheese, psyllium husk, water, eggs, sea salt and garlic granules. Stir until well mixed.
- Pour mixture on top of the parchment paper and shape into a rectangle. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cut the crackers into the desired shapes, I generally cut about 18 crackers out of this mixture.
- Lower the oven temperature to 140℃ / 275℉ / gas mark 1 and bake for a further 40 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container and eat within a week.
|Servings 9 (Makes 18 crackers, 2 crackers per serving. Therefore makes 9 servings in total)|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 15 g||23 %|
|Saturated Fat 3 g||16 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 41 mg||14 %|
|Sodium 235 mg||10 %|
|Potassium 15 mg||0 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 5 g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4 g||15 %|
|Sugars 0 g|
|Protein 7 g||15 %|
|Vitamin A||1 %|
|Vitamin C||0 %|
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs.
** The values here may not be 100% accurate and should be used as a guide only.
If you are missing cheese and crackers, and like sesame seeds, then these are worth a try! I have to be honest, from my experience, these are like marmite. I love them, but not everyone in my family does. People who like seeds or seeded bread tend to like these. If you try them and you like them, then you can re-introduce cheese and crackers back into your diet. How awesome is that!?
I will often make a batch of these and include them in my lunches for the week or I serve them with a cheese platter before dinner.
One of the great things I love about this recipe, is the nutritional benefits it provides. According to draxe.com, sesame seeds has numerous benefits including improving blood pressure, heart health and more. You can read more on the benefits of sesame seeds on draxe’s website.
Products used in this recipe
There are so many brands selling all kinds of low carb/sugar-free items that it can be hard to choose! These are my favourite and most used products, particularly for this recipe:
- Organic Psyllium Husk Powder 250g
- Buy Whole Foods Organic Natural Sesame Seeds 1 Kg
- Buy Whole Foods Sunflower Seeds 1 Kg